Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Our Scary Evening

The other day I actually made dinner, from scratch.......not just throwing something frozen in the oven......................well, when I went to turn the timer off and take it out of the oven the screen went blank for a moment, then said PF cool...................I thought it had a power failure............then after a few minutes we realized that it wasn't cooling off..................in fact, it was getting hotter and hotter................we have a little thermometer that hangs inside the oven as it's gas and takes forever to heat up..............it's not at the temp you want it be at after the preheat is finished..........the gauge was all the way past 500 degrees, down to the bottom of gauge..........we tried hitting all the buttons to turn it off and quickly realized that we needed to do something........and fast. I was asking Roman how we turn the gas off, but he wasn't really answering me. I was thinking, We don't have any time to waste. Let's get the kids out of the house....................and while I'm thinking this, I'm also thinking.........................great, and Roman's standing there right in front of the oven and he hasn't upped his life insurance yet, even though I've been bugging him for MONTHS to do that. It's not like I'm trying to get rid of him ............but I think I have more life insurance that he does and he's the primary provider for the family. .............................I keep telling him that nobody plans to get in a car accident on their way home from work....................or to get blown up in their own house...............but things happen and I want to make sure that the kids will be taken care of!
Anyway, I'm not waiting around for him to think of a way to solve this problem.................I march right across the street with the kids to our neighbors house, who knows how to do anything, and ask him, "how do we turn the gas off?" He goes and gets some tools and comes back over to our house just as Roman has flipped the switch and reset the oven......................Whewwwwww! Crisis averted........................it was kind of scary there for a few minutes..............Roman said it was like 800 degrees or something in the oven if you go by where the needle was and compare it to the other increments. Let's hope that doesn't happen again.....................ever!

No comments: