Saturday, July 5, 2008

One Very, VERY LOOOOOONG Day

Where to start?...........................we arrived in WA Friday afternoon and it felt great to be here, in the fresh air and very comfortable outside, but the journey was a hard one for me.
It started out Thursday night..............I finally finished packing most everything (there were a couple of things still in the wash) after 11:00PM and I went downstairs to get some water for my bedside when.............................. I had just come around the corner, out of the kitchen, through the family room and was about to go up the stairs. Luckily the little kick lights were on on the stairs, otherwise I would have stepped on a like 3" long SCORPION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EEEEEWWWW! I have never actually seen one in real life before (and never in our house).........I threw a shoe in front of the buffet, as it looked like it was heading that way and I didn't want it to go under there and for us to lose it. I yelled for Roman to come down and he took a minute, but he saw it too……..(I didn’t know they were clear – which makes it even harder to see them) I got the Raid to see if that would work – neither one of us ever having to kill one before……I sprayed the heck out it…………if the Raid didn’t work, I was going to drown the sucker. The spray worked and Roman flushed it, but we both had the heebie jeebies and had a hard time sleeping (great, like I need something else to keep me awake at night….....Mommy has been having a hard time sleeping for quite a while now.)
We left a little late for the airport and had to stop to get milk and juice for the kids as we ran out the night before, but a porter helped us with our luggage and the car seats and he took Roman in to show his I.D. to the guy at the counter so I could check us all in (and the two lap kids) and all our luggage while he parked the car in long-term parking off-site. I tried to take Sidney to the bathroom twice to go potty, but she wouldn’t go and she didn’t want a diaper on…….then, the last time I went to take her I forgot a diaper and that’s when she finally agreed to put one on……………….so, back to the stroller again. We made it through security, (which was an ordeal in it's self with all of our stuff and the stroller and the kids), and got to gate after getting some snacks for the plane ride with plenty of time. Roman and I talked and decided not to pre-board and let the kids play in the little play area until last call. (Why just sit on the plane forever with the kids going insane.) It was a very good call, as even after we got on the plane we sat for awhile(after some shuffling of seats – I knew we couldn’t all sit in the same row as there are only 4 air masks and 5 of us – they made us move the last time we flew up, so Roman and one baby was on the other side of the isle…………..well, it turns out we can’t even sit in the same row at all if all the seats are full, in case the stewardess has to use one of the masks –even though they could use the ones in front or behind us - so Roman had to move and the gal sitting next to me offered her boyfriend to switch, so she could sit by him, then we all moved over one seat.) Anyway, that made it so all three kids couldn’t watch the video player………………Cameron was standing on Roman’s lap, looking over the seat. I seemed to have a little room, as we put the armrest up, so I reached over and grabbed Cameron to watch the video. This only lasts moments before he was trying to press all the buttons on the DVD player and Carter did not want to share my lap with him. Now Carter was getting fussy and not watching, so I passed him back to Roman (of course this was after he had thrown up on me!) Cameron was so fussy almost the entire flight………I tried everything – giving him multiple different things to drink, snacks, toys, trying to rock him, his pacifier and burp cloth, walking up and down the isles…………we finally sat down again because there were some turbulents and I hit both his head and mine on the overhead bin! Then, his diaper leaked on my pants, so it was up again to the bathroom and I was almost in tears – I had had enough of this screaming child, had been puked on, peed on and my head was throbbing now, all the while Carter was crashed on Roman’s lap! - for 2 hours, snoozing away! We sat back down and he quieted down, but still wasn’t going to sleep. He finally came crashing into my chest about half an hour before we landed. I didn’t even know he was fading, as he was facing out on my lap………it’s a good thing he didn’t crash into my chin, or knock out a tooth…………then we both would be crying……again………The gal sitting next to me was so helpful and smiling at the boys and letting them touch her earphones and her book and held their sippy cup at one point and let us spread out. Thank God for her, or Mommy probably really would have lost it. Cameron was not happy when we landed and he got woken up.....the crankiness continues................Oh, plus, when we got on the plane, I was thinking I needed to turn my cell phone off, but I didn’t remember where we had put it……………then I remembered it was in the parent tray in the stroller, (but we were already sitting down on the plane) and it was on…………..luckily, the stewardess volunteered to go get itand the stroller was still there and she found it right away. Crisis averted –as I needed to call my Dad on his cell when we landed to pick us up and I don’t know the number, it’s only programmed into my phone. We waited until the very end to get off the plane so we could gather all of our things that had been taken out during the flight and we almost left my wallet in the overhead bin! Thank goodness Mommy triple checks for things now, as we have left quite a few things on planes…………never to be seen again. Then my Dad’s calling, and my brother is calling……………….where are you? “We’re in the family bathroom, changing everyone and trying to keep them from touching anything! My kids need some food now….no, they can’t wait another hour. They’ve only had breakfast and some snacks and it’s almost 3pm.” So we stopped by the old standby, McD’s, and were on our way to a Bar B Que at my Brother James and his wife, Melissa’s new house. They have a nice, big back yard, with soft grass (imagine that) and the boys loved rolling around in it and walking all over the place. By the time we got there Mommy needed a very tall, stiff drink! I thought all they had was beer, which I don’t drink, but Uncle James was able to help a sister out. It is so nice here. It was kind of cloudy when we arrived, but the sun was trying to come out and the temperature was perfect! It almost makes me want to move back here........... ALMOST.........except, I know what it's like the other 9 months out of the year. It does feel very familiar and relaxing though (even though I haven't lived here for 15 years)..............Sorry, I don’t have any pictures from the event, as I didn’t know where the camera was………….I was like “We’re here, isn’t that enough?” Then we had another hour drive up to my Dad’s and Roman was like, “I was thinking of riding with your sister since the van is so crammed.” I was like, “I’ll ride with my sister!” Thankfully, it was a very uneventful drive up, but the kids were all tired and it was very late and their schedules are still all messed up!

No comments: