OMG......I can NOT believe it! Sidney got a bug in her ear AGAIN!
The day did not start off so well......after Sidney's dance class I needed to go to the store.....I hate taking the kids with me, but I needed to go....and I'm usually too tired after they go to bed.......that proved to be a VERY torturous trip! After that I really needed a rest, so I put the boys down for a nap and Sidney went into a quite time.......after her quiet time she was playing outside with the slip & slide that she has been begging me forever to set up.....but it hasn't really been hot enough yet.......then I blew up the little pool too, as I figured when Carter and Cameron got up from their nap that they would want to play in the water too, since it was like 100 degrees today. She was taking the hose out of the pool and spraying the slide/climbing thing and likes to make mud to dig her toes into in the yard, so she had taken the hose on the side of the house.........a couple of times she said that her ear was sore.......she even said "I think there's some water in there"......so I got a Q-tip and tried to dry it out a bit, trying to be gentle, as I know kids aren't really supposed to use Q-tips.......then periodically she would say that it was "sore". I was thinking that she didn't really get this latest cold that bad, but that maybe she was getting an ear infection (BTW - which I think I might have one in one, if not bothof my ears......they are still sore.....time to give in and go to the Dr.)..........so, Carter woke up and I lathered him up and put his swim diaper and trunks on and he took off for the pool immediately..........well, he hadn't been out there but a few minutes when Sidney is really complaining that her ear hurts and starting to cry.......de ja vu...........flash back to about a year ago........when I asked her if she wanted me to take her to the Dr. she said yes! And the crying is now escalating to screaming.....I was trying to call the pediatrician, but also trying to look on-line, as they have another office that's actually closer to us....Sidney is screaming at me "Call the Dr. Mommy! NOW!!"........I can barely even hear the receptionist on the other end as Sidney is screaming in my lap......but they don't have any openings...........I must have asked like 3 or 4 times if she was SURE that none of their other offices weren't opened still (as it was just about 4:45PM).....I was panicking........I wasn't going to wait until tomorrow to take her in............she suggested an urgent care that they refer people too......immediately I thought, I don't want to take her to an urgent care with all three kids by myself and sit there forever while she screams in pain......but I called and they didn't have a wait.
So I run outside and grab Carter out of the pool and bring him into the house.....he was NOT happy about that........Sidney's like "Let's go!"
......I told her "I'm going as fast as I can. I have to put a diaper on your brother"
....and she's like "put my clothes on Mommy, come on, let's go" Carter is struggling with me, and I'm trying to get his shoes on and explain to him that we are going bye-bye (he likes to go bye-bye) he was moving around too much, I couldn't get his shoes on ..oh forget it....I'll put them on when we get there............Then Sidney is dictating some more......"Put my clothes on Mommy!"....I rip Sidney's suit off of her and throw on her dress that she had yet to even put on today (she had dance class this AM and didn't want to change afterwards)........and didn't even bother trying to find where she had put her panties.....I just grabbed a new pair out of the drawer....(I keep extras downstairs, since that's where she usually gets dressed)....throw a couple of sippy cups in the diaper bag and said......"come on, get in the car"
.......Sidney says "Aren't you going to get Cameron?".........
I said "Yes, of course.....let's just get you and Carter buckled in, then I'll go get Cameron"
"But you aren't going to leave him here are you Mommy?" (soooo sweet.....she's in pain, but worried about her brother)
"No honey, I will go get him in a minute......Just get in the car!".......so I'm trying to get Sidney and Carter in the car and Daisy decides that she wants to come too.......Grrrrrr.......Dog, I don't have time for this!......I get Carter buckled in and go to get Cameron......poor thing.......I had to wake him up.....I just burst into his room and say "Come on Cameron, we've got to go bye-bye".......I rip him out of the crib and his diaper almost falls off.....the one side came undone.......I just reattached it, grabbed his shorts and his shoes and put him in the car..........I have to DRAG Daisy out of the car......and I haven't even backed out of the driveway when Sidney starts saying
"Go faster Mommy.......Dr., Dr!"...........then I realize while I'm driving down the street that I don't really know exactly where this place is....the pediatrician had told me the cross-streets, but that was it, so on the way there I had to call information....I was wrong on the city........boy, these city lines are so wonky, who knows what city you are technically in at any given moment?......one just blends right into another....(Sorry, I digress....) ....so when I call them, then tell me the cross streets too, but I'm like yeah, I know that.....but WHERE ARE YOU? I want to know where I'm going and not have to drive around each corner trying to figure it out.........Sidney keeps yelling at me..
"Go Mommy" (when we were at a stop light and there are other cars all around me).....and "Drive faster........Dr. Mommy, Dr.".....I actually ran a red light (oops, but I was going too fast to stop and when your child is screaming in pain and asking you to help them, you will do just about anything)....I pulled right up and unbuckled the boys......then when I went to unbuckle Sidney I accidentally dropped the keys......I couldn't see where they went, so I just said screw it, the urgent care is all windows and I'm right here......if they want my car that badly, let them have it! I picked up my purse and the diaper bag and had each of the boys tucked under an arm and just carried them to the door......no time to put their shoes on...........so we frantically go in and there isn't anyone behind the desk.....there's a girl in scrubs out in the waiting area.......just kind of dinking around......and she takes her own sweet time making it to the desk.......then there's the whole, "sign in and fill out this paperwork.....blah, blah, blah"........I'm thinking......is all this REALLY necessary NOW.........can't you just look at my screaming child and I'll fill this out later?......the boys run off as they see an aquarium and some toys.......Sidney is pacing, saying "Mommy, when are we going to go back?"....I hear them mention something about taking her vitals.......so they take us back (after much coaxing of the boys), to a room that is just on the other side, so the boys can still see the fish tank and are occupied.....for the moment.......They want to weigh her and ask me a million questions....and I'm like, are you serious?........bug ............ear.........child crying in pain......get it out NOW!
Being a nurse, I know that they need to know this info.......but can't they just take care of the problem first?..........there isn't anything vital that would change how they care for her!
Then she says something about going out again............I just about lost it......I thought she was going to send us back out into the waiting room........I'm practically crying right along with her.......there's no more helpless feeling that having your child in pain and not being able to do something about it! They take us to an exam room though (what was wrong with the room were in?), and say the Dr. will be right in............it seemed pretty quiet, so I was hopeful that they really would be RIGHT IN.......luckily he was.......they all looked at me kind of surprised each time they asked me why we were there......and I'm like "We've been through this before.......she's acting the same way.....she's got a bug in her ear.......that's my guess." ........and when the Dr. looks in her ear BINGO........there's a bug in there.........Sidney was doing so well.....I was holding her and rocking her.......while the Dr. went to get something.......he came right back and was laying her down......the nurse was there too and was helping put her hands on her to calm her down......as I'm looking over my shoulder at the boys......climbing up onto the little round stool that spins........I walk over and pick Cameron up off the stool and set him on the ground and walk back over to Sidney when I hear "THUD!"......crying........OMG!!!!!!! Are you kidding me??????? I KNEW IT! Cameron fell of the stool and hit his head on the ground......so I run over and pick him up .........wanting to shake some sense into this kid.....about to lose my mind......just what I need.......Are you trying to send Mommy over the edge?! .....now I am crying......
The Dr. didn't seem too concerned though about the fall........he just said "Boys will be boys"
so I just held him and rocked him in the chair, trying to keep at least a hand on Sidney and get Carter to come over and sit by me........they put some drops in her ear to try and kill the bug........but it came crawling out.......I was freaking out.......thinking.....don't let it crawl on her, or in her hair......just get it OFF of her! I'm trying to hold the icepack that we brought (Sidney wanted it for her ear) on the back of Cameron's head....come to find out later that he has a big knot on his FOREHEAD.....so it wasn't doing any good.............Luckily, the Dr. got the bug in a tissue.............then, all of a sudden..................back to normal......(although he did say that the bug had scratched her ear....he saw little drops of blood in three different places!)....the nurse brought in otter pops for the kids..............I know........I thought they meant a lollipop.......no, they meant a Popsicle!.....The kids were all happy as clams......you would have never known that Sidney was just crying her little eyes out just a short while before that......then we went back out to the waiting room, there was Roman...."DADDY!" in unison.....I'm thinking....Yes......go see Daddy......while Mommy has a nervous breakdown in the corner.......so we are heading out to the car and Roman is like "So, are we going home?"
I'm like "There is no way I can be expected to cook dinner now!....and it's almost 6PM, let's just go somewhere"
Sidney wanted to ride with Roman, but he only has one car seat in his car......the boys were crying "Daddy.......daddy.....Nih-ney"......wiggling and not wanting to get in their car seats.......I even turned on Thomas for them (I don't like turning on the DVD player every time we get in the car, but I was just spent.....and couldn't take any more crying)....I was telling them
"Daddy is coming.....he's going to meet us there".....it took him a few minutes longer to get there than me, as his truck was parked a ways away........When we parked and they couldn't see his truck the were still whimpering "Daddy........Daddy.." When he pulled up they both shouted "YEAH! Daddy!" ........then they were bouncing off the walls at dinner........great....thanks Doc......hype them up on sugar, then send them on their way!.....The waiter came up and asked if we wanted a drink....."YES!!!!! I NEED a drink!"....then he asked if I wanted the smaller one or the the larger one..."Definitely the larger one!"...the kids kept wanting to take a sip of my drink, but understand "not for kids"......Roman eventually took them outside to get some energy out while I paid the bill.......then the drama keeps going........the boys wanted to ride with Roman on the way home too......but again.....two cars, three kids.....only one car seat in Roman's truck....the whining starts again......then they were excited again to see Daddy pull up in the drive way...................but NOT happy that they couldn't go play in the water...............it was bath time!....then afterwards they were still VERY whiny and cranky and climbing all over me, not even listening to the book Roman was reading...............Then it was time.....buh-by boys.......Mommy's going to get a MUCH needed massage! (It just so happened that I had called earlier in the day to schedule one, as my back has been bothering me lately in-between my shoulder blades on up.)
It was hard to relax for it, but I felt much better afterwards........can't we just have an uneventful day at home...........really, Mommy does not need all this excitement!
No comments:
Post a Comment