Yesterday was Sidney's first day of Kindergarten. The morning went fairly smoothly, but we got a later start than I would have liked, (imagine that. LOL.) Some friends were meeting us at the school, as they have a daughter who is a 6th grader there. They kindly offered to meet us and have her walk Sidney in to her class to help her feel a little more relaxed, as they don't really want the parents to go past the gate. She was kind of shy, burying her face into my leg.......but C was really good about getting down to her level and talking to her. This family helped to entertain Sidney while I was in the hospital during my pregnancy with the boys and they reminded her of that.......then she seemed to warm up to them a little more. Of they went into the Kindergarten area.....I was kind of in a daze and didn't want to watch her, as I didn't want her to look at me with sad eyes and rip my heart out. I wondered how she was doing throughout the day.......but calls, so I figured she must be doing well. When I picked her up I asked her how her day was and she said "Terrible".....she had music class and was bummed that they didn't actually get to PLAY any of the instruments......I gathered that it was mostly talking that day. She did say that she had made friends with a couple of girls in her class though and ate lunch with them. At dinner she was making up stories about getting hit in the eye and someone bumping into her.......but after awhile she said she was kidding......that was about all we could get out of her. Today she had P.E., so she HAD to wear tennis shoes........anyone who knows my child knows that she HATES to wear tennis shoes........most shoes really........this child lives in flip-flops and crocs. She's always hated anything with a strap, or that is tight on the top of her foot. Boy, it was a battle with her this morning.....I ended up just having to start heading for the car.......she took them off in the car, but I told her she couldn't go to school bare foot, so she put them back on.........and pouted all the way to the door. She actually told me to give her brand new twinkle toes to someone else this morning......but I was working on softening the heel last night........and.........after school she said that were feeling better! Now, lets hope the next time she has gym it won't be such a struggle.

I had picked out an outfit for her to wear, but didn't really have a "first day outfit", but she didn't like it, so this is what SHE picked out.......I told her it didn't really go, but it's just not a battle I chose to fight. (I've got plenty of other battles with her : ) Lately she's been on kick of taking toys in the car with her to school. I guess because her brothers do that a lot, but they are not allowed to bring toys to school.......so they're just there waiting for when I pick her up.
3 comments:
Glad she had a good day overall, even if there were a few bumps! I was actually thinking about her wondering how the PE thing went :) Congrats to you on making it through the first day too! Hope you are enjoying some more time with your boys...
Jules, I can't believe they don't want parents to go past the gate with your KINDERGARTNER!!! That seems so odd to me. We were supposed to take our K's to class on the first day and sit through a story called The Kissing Hand (which is really cute btw). They really worked on getting your child ok with you leaving them. Of course P was perfectly fine and I was the one who cried. Hopefully things with smooth out a little more. Can't wait to see pics. Btw, I haven't checked your blog since I think last summer so I have a lot of catching up to do!
Julie, they really encourage the separation thing.....to make it easier they say. They even asked that we not come meet them for lunch for the first couple of weeks of school. The Kindergarten classes are in their own little part of the school and they have their own playground too. I walked her to her class this morning cuz we were a little late. I thought I need to stop by the office since we were out of town and she missed school on Friday. I didn't see any parents in the school grounds.....kind of felt like I was dong something wrong, but I wasn't going to let her walk across the campus by herself. Sidney has been in preschool for a couple of years already, so she is ok with the separation thing, and we met her teacher a week before school started. I've heard the kissing hand book. It is really sweet!
Post a Comment